Monday, May 17, 2010

Back in the wash!


On an early morning beach walk this weekend, I noticed a beautifully sea-green coloured piece of glass. I love "sea-glass" and have collected quite a bit of it over the years. Usually it is just ordinary old brown fragments...that I think originate from beer bottles! I must admit my reaction to the amber brown glass that Cliff was going to use on my stained-glass sunflower candle holder, would point to the fact that I have a bias against beer bottle glass! This particular piece was a bit unusual though. The pale aqua seemed to "belong" in the beach setting. An exact replica of the moment just before a wave breaks and the sunlight shows through. 'Tis my habit to photograph any beach finds "in situ" before I claim them for whatever use I have in mind, so I did. On closer inspection though... DISAPPOINTMENT! The edges were still sharp. Beach glass takes a lot of years of tossing and turning in the wash of the waves before it is worthy to be taken home! Sounds like our earthly predicament! Reminded me that though I sometimes long to go home, God is not finished with me yet! So many rough edges to be smoothed. I can just imagine Jesus leaning in for a close look, and proclaiming "Not yet! Back in the wash!" So every monotonous day that rolls in and out like the tide, and turns me in my place, and causes me to find friction in those dreaded "sandpaper people" is working for my good.
For I am confident of this very thing,
that He who began a good work in you
 will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
Philippians 1:6

1 comment: