Sunday, August 4, 2013

Splinters of truth...

Whereas it is good to walk alone, sometimes walking with a friend adds a greater dimension to the experience. They see things from a different perspective, and can show you things about yourself that you may have become blind to.
I am blessed to have a friend like that. His knowledge of plants and their precise botanical names always amazes me. I love that we share a genuine amazement and fascination over God's creation. We can walk in a garden and never grow tired of the trees. Our conversation happily meandering through different paths of creation, relationships and life.
Today my faithful friend gently delivered some home-truths. He did wrap it in jest to soften the blow, but the jokes contained that 'splinter of truth'. Now that I am able to sit and reflect on the conversation they are beginning to do what splinters do. Make me uncomfortable, and realise I must address the issues. Left to themselves they may cause discomfort at the best and infection at the worst!
So thank-you to my friend and his words of insight and the love that motivates him to want the best for me, even if it hurts. Interestingly enough, I accidentally brushed past a prickly plant in following him through a desert garden and have an actual splinter in my thigh just to give me a physical reminder of the lesson! AND... just in case you thought plants could not have prickles and a healing quality here is a Aloe vera in the same garden. (Coincidentally from South Africa as is my friend.)

Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.
Proverbs 27:6

No comments:

Post a Comment